Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, September 01, 2012

More to Come..

 August can be a time on the plot when everything is just about finishing unless you plan ahead and make second and third sowings of seed. This is one of my Queensland Blue pumpkins struggling with the unpredictable English Summer. I should have a few decent sized pumpkins this year.
 I remembered to sow a couple of late Black Beauty courgettes in July, so just as my early sowings are struggling to keep going, I have a lovely new plant just starting out!
 Plenty of daylight and heat to keep this second sowing of sweet corn Lapwing going when the first crop has finished.
 I'm just looking to bulk up my store of seed from this little dwarf bean 'Negritos' . Thought to be similar to a cuban black bean, these little beans have jet black seeds.  First time I've grown them, they are looking good.
 I've received my entry form from the RHS to apply to enter the RHS Heaviest Pumpkin Competition at the Autumn show in London.  I am just trying to think of how I am going to get it out of the plot and to the exhibition if I am chosen. Perhaps I will look out for one of those builders bags that deliver a yard of sand...
 I am just in love with these little Black Pearl Chillis.  Seed given to me by a fellow blogger for my Buddy Morris memorial garden.
 Someone else has been admiring the pumpkin too! Hard to stop him trampling all over the place!
But his favourite place is to follow me into the greenhouse for a couple of cherry tomatoes!

6 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I would love one of your cherry tomatoes too!! ENVY furry K9!!! Your pumpkin is awe inspiring! It's going to be exciting to see how you get it to the competition!! Second crop of veggies are looking quite fit :)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

THe big pumpkin is looking great! I love the big & green leaves on the vine too.

See if you agree that I have a Queensland Blue pumpkin in the works. It is a different shape than the other pumpkins I have. I've just posted a picture.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

According to the rescue centre where Penny came from they have found that tomatoes are good for easing arthritic joints.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

That pumpkin is looking great. Keeping my fingers crossed you will be selected (even though that means you have to figure out how to get it out of there and transported safely. My squashes are in various stages of maturity - some definitely will make it to the finish line and others are more questionable. Our summers are a lot like yours I think (I am in coastal pacific northwest US) and the temps just never get very warm here in the summer or if they do for very long. The days are getting significantly shorter now and night time temps cooler so it is now a race to the finish line to get as many of them grown out as possible.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Yes, my pumpkin resembles your Queensland, along with the flat shoulders you described. I'm pleased!

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Smart boy, Leo. He knows the good stuff!

Our pumpkins are coming along as well, in spite of one Airedale dog that went on a digging spree, going for a mole...

Wyatt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>