Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Black Beans

 I am still picking and drying some of my lovely little 'Negrito' black bean seeds.
 Very small little beans which are usualy found in Hispanic recipes such as black beans and rice.
 Beautiful violet flowers on compact bushes, and these little bean pods are short but very prolific.
The pods seem to dry to different colours from dark blue to pale green, but perhaps we haven't had the best of ripening conditions this Summer eh?

2 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I love black beans and rice, every since I visited Costa Rica. Do you pick them and then let them dry before shelling? I cannot see how they could dry enough in our wet climates.

(I'm back in town and back to work on Monday.)

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful black beans...love home grown beans and peas...taste so good!

could have been the field peas my Mom used to plant that would dry with the pods different colors...

thanks so much for coming by Theanne and Baron for a visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>