Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, October 08, 2012

Meeting Royalty

 Pumpkin arrived safely at the RHS London show. Lots of burly sorts with straps, forklifts, and all the necessary equipment to cope. 
 My name in lights! I'm nearly famous!
 And I get to meet Royalty!! well.... that is vegetable Royalty in the form of Mr Medwyn Williams, Chair of the National Vegetable Society and a long time hero of mine!
 On to the scales and weighed quite a decent 87.8 kg.. which I don't understand. So a ready rekoner tells me that a kilo is 2.2lbs so... Matron's pumpkin weighed in at 193.5lbs... I was feeling pretty pleased with myself until the big girls arrived...
So along came Ian Paton with his two big girls!  About a ton each! The Paton Twins, Ian and Stuart hold the British record, so they are certainly 'Pumpkin Royalty'.   So weigh in is now complete, I wait until tomorrow.....

4 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

If there are any awards for beauty...yours wins the prize!!!

They are racing/rowing pumpkins in the heart of Dill's Atlantic Giant Pumpkin country (Windsor, Nova Scotia) this coming weekend! You would love it.

Again..yours is spectacularly beautiful. Best of luck.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

You both made it safely, thank heavens.
Don't worry about the Pumpkin Royalty big guns, your pumpkin has lineage in its veins too.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger africanaussie said...

Wow your pumpkin is beautiful! It must have been quite something getting it there - I cant believe they have pumpkins that weigh a ton!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Congratulations, 4th is pretty impressive for your first try. Your pumpkin would certainly win 1st in a beauty contest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>