Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hungry Visitors

A mob of hungry visitors visited my garden this morning.  About 30 Fieldfares descended in a flock and just gorged themselves on my crab apples.  Last Winter I decided to leave the crab apples for the birds and not to make myself a few jars of jelly.  Two fieldfares visited last year.  I suppose this life saving food source location was lodged in their bird brains somewhere and they brought their family and friends back with them a year later!  By the way.. this is Matron's first video posting!

5 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger chocolatelikesnow said...

I wonder how many will turn up next year? :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Matron, I think you made their day. It must be quite hard to try finding food in the cold winter months for these poor birds.
Great video post.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Sue said...

That's a coincidence! We spent some time today identifying the 'unusual' bird in the garden eating berberis and pyracantha berries - a Fieldfare!
Evidently they seek food in gardens particularly when
the fields are covered in snow. What a flock you had! I have fieldfare envy!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Kris said...

Well done on the video, Matron. Really shows the flock on the crabapples. Glad they found some food in your garden.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

wow! there are so many of them! They must be really hungry! :)

A few days ago I recorded how the birds fight for food in my garden, I posted the video on my blog, check it if you want - it's very funny :)

www.slavic-garden.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>