Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New Shoots

 Even in the midst of Winter there are signs of life on the allotment.  The new raspberry canes I planted in Autumn are showing some new shoots.
 Rhubarb is also daring to poke its head above the soil.
 I must give this patch a couple of inches of compost to feed it for next year.  I still have the old mound that I created for my giant pumpkin last year. I will fork it all over and make a mound on my rhubarb.

And meanwhile in the greenhouse, quite a few of my Bishop's Kiss chillis are still hanging on in there while the plants have died back. A welcome flash of colour at a dull time of year.

5 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

My raspberries are still 'sleeping'...

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

It looks like Spring already! I wonder if our plants will get zapped by frost, I hope note.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Signs that spring is on its way...hang in there.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Whee! It's warmed up a bit here. Guess I need to go out and look at the Rhubarb and see what's going on!

Wyatt's mom

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Love the chilli photo! (and the name, hilarious!) When it stops raining I'll have to get on with pruning my raspberry canes back. So much to be done and the ground so soggy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>