Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 26, 2013

Foraging in Spring

 This time last year I was visiting the Rialto Market in Venice.  I took a picture of something on sale in the market called 'Bruscandoli'  it wasn't until I came home and did some research that I found out that this is a Venetian speciality.   It is in fact,  hop shoots.  The tip of the growing hop vines in Spring are cut off, steamed and served either in butter, or perhaps in a rizotto.
So this is the time of year when I will be putting it to the test.  It has been such a hard, cold Spring here, but at the first opportunity I think I'll give it a go.

5 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

We always thin out the hop shoots and have them for lunch, usually in an omelette, lovely!

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Will be really interested to hear how you find them!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I have some Golden Hops in my garden and I have often considered using the shoots like this, but then I remember that I have Asparagus too,(which comes on at about the same time) and I don't think the Hops would bear comparison with this!

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Weeding the Web said...

Do they make you really sleepy afterwards?

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Weeding the Web - I haven't tried them yet! keep meaning to but they seem to grow at the side of busy roads where I see them there is no place to stop. Interesting point though.. hmmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>