Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Potting up

 Just a couple of warm days this week and my little tomato plants almost doubled in size.  I potted some of them up into large pots in the greenhouse.  I have found that tomatoes in pots in a greenhouse or on the sunny patio sometimes do better than those  planted direct in the soil.
 A frost is forecast in London tonight so these are under a layer of fleece in the greenhouse but being hardened off outside during the day.
 These precious little Chilli Willy seedlings are doing nicely.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these grow....
This little cucumber plant caught my attention in the garden centre.  It is a grafted plant - that means that the top plant is the F1 hybrid Iznik (a plentiful small cucumber) and the rootstock will have been chosen for more vigour.  At present there is a baby cucumber on every single leaf joint and the plant is growing inches each day. Looks great!

9 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

My tomato plants are not as big as yours yet, but I potted-them on yesterday into bigger pots (still not their final homes). We had a heavy frost last night, so I'm glad I brought the toms indoors.
I agree about the benefit of growing toms in pots. That way you can get the watering and feeding just right.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger orlaith said...

Wow, your tomatoes are miles ahead of mine! Mine were sowed at the end of January but they didn't appreciate the cold march in the poly.

And baby cucumbers already! Brilliant.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

My tomatoes are much smaller than yours. I can't wait to plant them and eat the fruits! I have some many new varieties this year :)

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Things seem to be moving on a pace there now Matron. I seem to spend my time catching up on weeding. They don't stop growing whatever the weather.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your cucumber plant is impressive! I always think of them as hard to grow in UK climate.

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes my tomatoes aren't as big as yours yet, but I'm sure they will catch up. You have been working hard.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What garden centre do you use? I'm just down the road from you in ruislip

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Anonymous - the wonderful veggie plants came from the centre in Ducks Hill Road Northwood. Really amazing, healthy plants.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Cathy said...

Thank u, I'll be paying them a visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>