Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Spring has Sprung!

 At last Spring has sprung down on the allotment!  This past Winter has been the longest I can remember.  Just in the last couple of days we have had some sunny and warm-ish days and the plants have responded quickly.  I pulled my first few stalks of Rhubarb this afternoon.
 The length of the stalks or the height of this Rhubarb has almost doubled in a week.  Everything is springing up with a vengeance.
 The first pickings of Rhubarb in the Spring are absolutely fantastic.  Not a hint of stringyness, very tender, much less acidic than later pickings, and a bit sweeter.  Just cleaned and chopped up then a sprinkling of sugar and into the microwave for about 5 minutes.
 Nectar!




4 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Nice patch of rhubarb! Mine has barely broken ground....

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Our early variety is ready for picking and then we have later varieties at different stages of growth.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Wow, I think you're the first to harvest rhubarb. I've a little while to wait but should be harvesting in the coming weeks.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Your rhubarb is ahead of mine too. Last year, I dug up all rhubarb and replanted pieces. It is looking like a good start. And I have it sprouting in my hedgerow where I threw the excess from cleaning out the garden.
I'll try some of the young shoots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>