Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Race is On!

 This Spring has been the longest, coldest and wettest I can remember.  Just one week ago it was snowing in London and planting any seeds is out of the question.  So yesterday I broke the habit of a lifetime and I went out and BOUGHT some tomato plants at a garden centre.  I'm way too far behind to plant seeds now.
 I found a grafted F1 mini cucumber of a variety called Iznik.  I decided to give it a chance and see how it does in the greenhouse.
 
 My soil is just so wet and frozen still that I haven't planted broad beans either.  At the garden centre I bought a couple of trays of Broad Bean Masterpiece.  Let's see how they do.
 So everyone out there.... take your marks...
 Get set .....Grow!

6 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I had some Iznik cucumbers last year. They were very good - prolific fruiters. The actual cucumbers were very nice - crisp and tasty.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cough! Choke! £3.99 for a cucumber plant! ...Ahr, that be London prices :-)

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Ian - yes a bit pricey, but a grafted plant on a stronger rootstock hopefully.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I did the same as you Matron and bought some tomato plants. I kept them inside for a few weeks, but a sunny weekend a few weeks ago I took the plunge and planted them in the poly-tunnel. The only problem with a poly-tunnel is that if there is a little frost outside, there will be a little frost inside!

Looks like I will have to buy some more plants, my fault for being to eager. :-(

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous David Evans said...

My name is David. I have an allotment in Leamington Spa, in the Midlands. This has been mostly flooded over the Winter with occasional snow and ice. Planted unchitted spuds today and sowed saved tomato seeds.

Nature will eventually catch up.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

It is purchased seedlings for me too this year. Better than not having anything growing in the garden!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>