Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chelsea Flower Show Part 3

 The avenue of trade stands at Chelsea is one of the first places to go for me.  These are the best gardening gloves that I have found!  Bought a pair 3 years ago and only now needed another new pair. Flexible and tough.
 Mr Fothergill was on duty at his stand too.
 Happy to see lots more veggies on display at the 'flower show'  if you haven't tried growing salsify, I can highly recommend it.  Tastes like a luxury version of parsnip or Jerusalem artichoke.
 
  I just loved the seed labels at the Kings Seeds stand.
 My friend Celia from Purple Podded Peas would have been happy to see an exhibit on the Robinsons stand named for her!
 Lots of down to earth practical suggestions for growing veggies in containers.  Years ago, the Chelsea Flower Show was part of the exclusive Upper Class London 'Season' where you just had to be seen ...darling...mwah!... yet here we are growing veggies and giving really good, down to earth gardening ideas.  An exciting develpment in the gardening world.  
I particularly loved these paper pots made from pictures in a gardening magazine! It looks like those of us that prefer to dig on an allotment or grow veggies are no longer the poor relations.   Food for thought.

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Interesting to read and see your photos. PPPs at Chelsea!!!

On Twitter a couple of well known gardener/writers were commenting about lack of veg at Chelsea this year and probably indicates the grow your own fad has passed.

Seems they wore blinkers!

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Happy 7th Blogoversary! If we ever make it over the pond, heading in your direction, we will certainly look you up!!

Wyatt's Family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>