Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, May 09, 2013

Grafted Cucumber Plants

 I thought this grafted cucumber plant sounded interesting when I was at my local garden centre a few weeks ago.  This variety F1 Iznik is a small snack sized cucumber, and with the more vigorous rootstock that grafting has achieved I hope it will be prolific.  Grafted plants have until now been used commercially, but now it is available to us mortals.  Apparently it gives 70% larger crops, crops earlier and for longer and is more resistant to disease like powdery mildew.  Let's see!
I tried one today, a lovely flavour, crisp and tasty.  I love the convenient size too. Just perfect for a lunch box snack.

3 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Good choice. I grew some Iznik plants last year (from seed) and they did very well, so I have got more of them this year. The texture of the fruit was particularly good - crunchy without being tough.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Lrong said...

These are sold in Japan too... at a rather expensive price... I have yet to try growing them...

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jelliebabe said...

I've had a grafted one last year and also tried home grown snack size ones too - LOVERLY! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>