Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Planting Out

 One of my favourite bean varieties is Blauhilde a purple climbing bean.  Really prolific and very healthy.
 I planted a few in a pot just a week ago, and during the warm weather in the last couple of days they just thrived, so I planted them out today.
 I am growing these climbing beans up the same frame as some sweet peas.  I am trying to encourage the pollinating insects nowadays.
 Elsewhere, my broad beans Masterpiece are about a foot tall now. Enjoying the warm weather.  I think I might plant a second planting just to follow them along.  Another reason for a second planting of broad beans is that if the black fly infest this first crop, they will probably leave my second crop alone!
I decided to plant some of my tomatoes outdoors now.  They have been hardening off outside in their pots for a few days now, but I think the time is right.  You must make your own decision as to whether you think all danger of frost is over.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

I grew 'blauhilde' 2 years ago, but I was very dissapointed to find out that it turns green while boiling.
But, it has very pretty pink flowers though :)

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Doc said...

Matron,
I love this time of year, everything starting to grow. I have a nice row of the Mrs. Fortunes climbing beans that you so kindly sent a while back. They have become a favorite for the table, actually the only bean we grow now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>