Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 06, 2013

Twelve Million Worms!

 After such a wet Summer last year, I rekon there must be a plague of slugs just waking up on my allotment right now.  I bought some Nematode worms to kill the slugs just as they start munching on my veggies.
 This is a live product (not wriggling but has to be kept in a fridge)
 Microscopic little creatures not visible with a naked eye or even a hand lens. 
The directions are to dilute them into a watering can, mix thoroughly and distribute widely over the soil.  In a couple of weeks' time they will start eating slugs!  Fingers crossed.

2 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Lee said...

Have you used it before Matron? We got some last year and reckon that, used at this time of year, it brought the slug population down enough for things to "get away" succesfully. I'll be buying it again this year. Have you heard about how the nematodes kill the slugs off? Grim stuff!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Lee - I have used it before, but it is difficult to measure whether it is effective. ie. you don't know what it would have been like if you hadn't used it. Nevertheless, I feel happier using a method like this rather than so many slug pellets as I have an elderly Labrador that strolls around and eats everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>