Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 29, 2013

Happy Families

 This is the time of year when any of the curcurbit family are just loving life and putting on tremendous growth every day. I think the leaves of all these family relatives are beautiful. This one above is a Defender Courgette, I love ths silver mottling on the leaves.
 This one is a Queensland Blue squash, trailing about a foot a day across my patch, lovely rounded leaves with a blueish green colour.
 This vibrant green leaf is from one of my Scallop squash plants.
 The cucumber vines are in the greenhouse, but you can see from the sandy patches beginning to appear that I have an infestation of red spider mite in there.  Trying to deal with it without using sprays but it is getting worse and worse.
 Speaking of family, Chicken Balti and Chicken Bhuna have come to stay again for a few days. They had a little explore on to the patio today, pecking up pieces of grit and searching for creepy crawlies.
These are hybrid hens, Bovans Goldline, which are remarkably calm and placid. Happy to be picked up and cuddled (so long as the big yellow barking furry monster is locked indoors!).

4 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Your visitors look very friendly!
I'm enjoying watching the cucubits romp away in this wonderful growing weather. My favourite leaf is the Japanese Squash Black Futsu - dark green and beautifully marked with silver - an oriental work of art!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Natalie Cleary said...

Lovely courgettes. Those chickens look like their up to something.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Its interesting to see the different curcurbit leaves as I hadn't noticed before how different they can be; good to see this.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

That hen in the lower pic is really intent on getting something in that pot!I know the damage they did to my garden so I think you are being very brave!
You do grow quite a lot of the cucurbit family, we are wading through courgettes at the moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>