Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Matron goes to Hampton Court

Summer has finally arrived! temperatures of nearly 30degrees in London and a glorious day at the Hampton Court Flower Show.  Nowadays, growing fruit and vegetables is becoming an integral part of these established shows. The RHS are now reflecting the needs of gardeners out there.
The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight are masters at creating beautiful show stands and I learned a new thing yesterday.
Do you know what 'Grapping' is?.. I didn't
so that is different to 'Plaiting'...
One of my favourite places is to visit Seeds of Italy, the lovely Paolo Arrigo is the 7th generation in this family firm which dates back to 1783.  There are some wonderful varieties of veggies on sale here.
And the lovely Monty Don was there too... minus his dog Nigel...

7 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Oh that looks very exciting - we're going on Friday xx

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger VP said...

What a shame I missed you yesterday :(

I thought the Edulis display was amazing!

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous BrittanyGirl said...

I am very jealous as I'd love to have been going to Hampton Court Palace, especially in this gorgeous weather. Interesting about the garlic grapping - never ever heard of it before.

Sandra
www.rainbowcottagesinfrance.com

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

ha,ha I see you met our mutual 'friend ' the lovely Italian!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you (albeit briefly). I was hoping to catch up with you during the day but it's a big place to spot someone in!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Ah! The lovely Paulo! I met him and had a chat and song at Chelsea - did he have his accordian with him? I haven't organised a trip to this show, but your post makes me think I'd prefer Hampton Court to Chelsea - lots more veggies!!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Our garlic is from the Isle of Wight farm :) And we Plaited twice and it looked fabulous (esp. as a pressie) but now there is too much other stuff for arty crafty-ness :) Love your take on the show so far. Seriously though where was Nigel ?!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>