Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 22, 2013

Phew!

 Most of the UK is sweltering in a heatwave at the moment. Today is the hottest so far,  about 92degrees in old money. That's about 150 in dog years!
 My allotment is on lovely London clay, but because it hasn't rained in weeks and weeks, big cracks in the ground are beginning to appear.
If you don't hear from me in the next few days it is probably because I have fallen into one!  Thunderclouds looming on the horizon now, so expect flood reports.

5 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

It's been quite cool here for a couple of days,

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Hazel said...

I thought about your water retentive London clay when I lugged 30-odd watering cans around the Hill the other evening!

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Haha, I just saw the weather report and we are due to have Thunderstorms on Thursday - hurrah! The pollen is killing me slowly :) xx

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

That is horrific!It must be tough going keeping everything watered at the minute.I cannot remember what fahrenheit temps are anymore as we have been centigrade for a good bit now, but I know 90 is not good for man or beast or plant for that matter.We had some rain today but not enough to make any impact down here.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Caro said...

London clay over here as well. Last night's heavy showers were as music to my ears - in fact I woke up thinking about putting out more bowls to catch the rain! I have two blueberry bushes that are suffering through tap watering. (Wrong I know, but needs must!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>