Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summer Sunshine

 We have had more than a week of glorious Summer sunshine here in the UK, everything on the allotment has just taken off!  I've been keeping my Runner Beans nice and well watered, but this heat is making them very happy.  I've also planted a few Sweet Peas among my climbing beans this year just to encourage the pollinating insects to come over and do their job.
 Chicken Balti and Chicken Bhuna have come to stay for a while for their Summer holidays.  They enjoy eating kitchen scraps, dandelion leaves and chick weed... and they convert it into eggs for the kitchen and manure for the compost heap!
 Elsewhere these Hinomaki Red Gooseberries are ripening in the bright sunshine.  They should make it to a deep purple colour before too long.  A really good crop of soft fruit this year, I think they all enjoyed the long, cold Winter to form their flowering and fruiting buds.
 Isn't it marvellous the way that climbing beans just know what to do?  Sometimes I feel that if I stay too long in one place I might get wrapped up too!  These are my lovely Blauhilde climbing beans.
 I planted two Beauregard Sweet Potatoes in a black plastic bin.  They get lots of heat, light, warmth and feed here, they seem to be doing well.
Quite a few female flowers on all my squashes and pumpkins at the moment.  The flowers all open during the hot days, and the bees seem to be pollinating everything all over the place!

5 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those red gooseberries look delightful. You've inspired me to find a few to plant in my garden next year!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger rochefleuriegarden said...

Looking at your gooseberries makes me think that I should build a cage to protect mine and enjoy them ripe. As it is, I have to pick them green and use them all for jam. If I were to let them ripen, raccoons would get them all.

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Looking good there! Those gooseberries need to be in a painting. I'm going to miss beans this year. I liked watching them climb as much as eating them, almost. cooking beets tonight.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Blauhilde is my favourite! Pole beans seem to be a bust here so far. Third planting just coming through the ground. Sigh.. Your garden is really looking great.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Natalie Cleary said...

Your garden is flourishing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>