Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Full Steam Ahead!

 Everything is ripening all at once on Matron's allotment at the moment. Daily picking is required to keep the plants producing, but what to do with all these lovely vegetables. These Beefmaster tomatoes are amazing. Many of these large beefsteak tomatoes on each plant and many more to come.
 A big surprise were these Tumbler tomatoes. I had expected them to be small grape sized tomatoes which are intended to grow in containers or hanging baskets. I have had pounds and pounds of these golf ball sized tomatoes and they just keep coming.
 Just to get rid of a few I sliced these in half and sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt and an even tinier bit of sugar and slowly dried them in the oven for a couple of hours.  These will make an addition to some tomato sauce I will make with the fresh ones.
 Defender courgettes are coming thick and strong, and so are the lovely pale green Lebanese squash.  I have been picking them quite small like this, but now that the courgettes are coming I have left a couple on the plant to grow to full size just to see what they are like.
 Handfuls of Red Rum runner beans at the moment too.  Best picked and eaten when they are still on the smallish size, but if you miss a picking for just one day they run riot!
So I sent off to Mr Amazon for this lovely, metal bean slicer.  Just the ticket!

9 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Is that bean-slicer any good? It looks lethal!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Wonderful tomatoes. I usually grow Tumblers, but after an appalling year last year I didn't bother this time. I love your bean slicer, it's fantastic!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Mark - the bean slicer is brilliant. It was on Amazon, about £35 and came from Germany.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Can you show how the bean slicer works Matron? I have a hand held one which works good..but this kinda looks like a big step up from mine. Many thanks.

Oh those tomatoes!!!

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Those Beefmaster look really nice. How did those apricot habanero turn out?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

That metal bean slicer looks a treat. Thanks for the tip.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger ~TastyTravels~ said...

Wonderful harvests! I love your tomatoes!!

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can bring the bacon, bread, and mayo for those Beefmasters, enough for everyone in fact. make my mouth water.

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Cracking tomtoes!! I've just grown Sungold this year and they've been amazing, eating them like sweets!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>