Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 20, 2013

Green Tomato Chutney

 This is one of my favourite all time chutneys. Actually I still haven't finished all my spiced pumpkin chutney from last year's giant.  Green tomato chutney is sweet and tasty. Green tomatoes, apples and onions chopped up and sweated.
 A spice bag is indicated in the recipe, but I was given this wonderful spice packet to use.  It is made from the same heat resistant plastic or rubber that the baking sheets and tins are made from.
 Most recipes underestimate the amount of time needed to cook chutney. Mine said simmer for 30 minutes.. it was still watery liquid at that time.  I just keep an eye on it and stir regularly so the bottom doesn't catch. I made this in just about 2 hours.  White mustard seeds are added at the end.
The perfect accompaniment to cheese!

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What recipe did you used?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Looks good! I'm making salsa verde this weekend with a bunch of tomatillo's.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matron, please can you post the recipee for this? Or I'm going to have to have a go at making it up and that will be interesting!

D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>