Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Autumn Colours

 My beautiful Apricot chillis are ripening perfectly in the greenhouse.  These are a very mild chilli with a clean fruity flavour, just like a salad pepper.  A wonderful pale, apricot colour.
 Just a hint of heat at the back of your mouth while eating it, but really, a lovely, lovely salad ingredient.  I will be saving some seed for next year.
 Meanwhile, last week I bought some Quinces from the RHS Wisley Autumn harvest show.
 So yesterday I made some Quince jelly.  Quinces are very high in pectin, so can be used to make a wonderfully fragrant jelly with relatively little cooking.
 Meanwhile back on the patch, I dug up a few roots of Horseradish.  Our heavy clay soil means that lots of these roots are forked and mis-shapen, but I managed to clean a few decent pieces.
 Peel and tidy them up indoors.
and thank heavens for modern technology!  This stuff is lethal if you lean over and inhale.  It is pretty darn painful just being in the vicinity to take a photograph.  So a nice jar full of fresh, home made horseradish sauce is now sitting in the fridge.   So guess what is on the Sunday lunch menu at Matron's house?

5 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Caro said...

Aaah, apricot chillis! This was the plant that caught my eye at the recent RHS London Autumn Festival show. I was advised that a greenhouse was needed for a thriving plant so reluctantly put the seeds back. Yours is a beauty! I'd so love to taste one of those chillis, maybe I'll try and have a go indoors or on my balcony, under cover.
You've also reminded me to dig out a few horseradish roots. Also growing in clay as I made the mistake of planting straight into the ground! Whoops! The plant will be there to delight generations to come!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your Quince jelly looks a lovely colour. And the plants are fantastic when they are in flower.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

The Apricot chilli looks like a type of Habanero, so I'm surprised to hear that it will supposedly only grow in a greenhouse. There's no doubting its visual appeal though. Probably going on my Wishlist now too!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger VP said...

I love apricot chillis too! I blogged about saving them for seed a while ago and was told by the supplier they have Plant Breeders Rights on them. Best not to mention what you're doing in public.

In view of my comment, I'm happy if you choose not to publish this ;)

Hope things are well with you - great that Wisley is allowing scrumping this week!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Richard Haigh said...

Great cover of Oxford Market. I have an allotment in Oxford and go to the market often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>