Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, December 12, 2013

How to make Pumpkin Pie

 These lovely Winter squash are really good keepers.  I think this one is a cross between Queensland Blue and Crown Prince.  If they are 'cured' properly after picking.. ie. letting the skin set or harden in the warm sun or on a warm windowsill, they will keep indefinitely.
 Those lovely square shoulders are very typical of the Queensland Blue but the colour is more silver like the Crown Prince.
 Lots of sweet, firm flesh.  I usually steam, roast or microwave the flesh to cook it. Boiling just adds too much moisture and you want it as dry as possible.
 Sieve the cooked pumpkin and drain for at least 24 hours to allow water to drain out.  You will then need to mix 1 cup pumpkin (8oz) 3 eggs, 4oz dark sugar, 1 desert spoon flour, 1/2 cup cream (4oz), and spices of your choice. I use ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg.. I like it spicy so add about a teaspoon of each if you like it.
 The mixture will be sloppy, do not be alarmed, it is like an egg custard at this stage.  Pour into a pastry case and cook at #8 gas - 220C for 10 minutes at first, then turn the oven down to #4 gas 180c for about 30 minutes until it stops wobbling.  My secret ingredient is the desert spoonful of flour, I find it helps set the mixture.
Cool down and eat!

6 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

That one looks as if it has a good flesh-to-seed ratio. Lots of squashes have too many seeds for my liking.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We have several of those out in the barn. Ours are "Sweet Meat" and they have to be cut with a hatchet, but they are worth it. I cook chunks of them in the microwave. The dogs and I gobble them up!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Looks very good! I know Americans are very fond of pumpkin pie. Looks a tasty treat.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Caro said...

At last! a foolproof guide to making pumpkin pie - thank you! I wouldn't have known about draining the cooked pumpkin flesh. Do you pre-bake your pastry case to keep it crisp?

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Post me some??? x

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'm still waiting, patiently...it is coming, right???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>