Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Indigo Rose Tomato

Regular readers may remember that over the past few years I have tried to grow Black Veggies.  This started in 2011 when I planted the veggies in memory of my lovely dog Buddy.  The Black Veggie Garden contained black varieties, or those which are named black.  This is a recurring theme in my life now as I named my new company Blackdog DNA. (plug!) I am a qualified dog behavourist providing DNA tests for dogs. I named the company and the logo after Buddy.   Well I am thrilled to have found a tomato variety Indigo Rose which is truly black!  I look forward to growing them this season.  I found this wonderful seed company in Devon Plant World Seeds where they have an astonishing range of varieties, particulary tomato varieties. Everything you could possibly want is there!  Go have a look!

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Yes I remember buddy well, laughing at him looking at his birthday cake with the candle on it. Especially liked the 007 get up too. Btw the new pic of you and Leo is a good one you both look so happy. Will have a look at the black tomato too that you suggest although I have treated myself to some new tomato seeds too, one called black krim, will put some photos on my blog when they come up.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I will be impressed if those tomatoes do produce truly black fruits. I have grown a few with the word "Black" in their name, but they are usually more of a deep purple colour. I was recently given a pack of seeds for some Japanese ones. I can't read the Japanese writing, but the picture shows fruit which is a vivid, almost "radio-active", blueish purple. I'm hesitating about whether to grow any of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>