Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 07, 2014

Hampton Court Palace Flower Show

I am just so pleased that the RHS Hampton Court Summer shows are really taking note and reflecting the growing interest in edible gardening. This amazing vegetable garden celebrates 50 years of the RHS Britain in Bloom campaign which champions the power of community through gardening.
 This garden really put a smile on my face.
 Any carefully designed flower garden would be pleased to have such a striking, structural feature like these leeks! I just wonder when they sowed the seed and how they managed to get them to this size in July!!
 Something I've not see before is this display of floating Cranberries by Ocean Spray.  Quite a striking exhibit using this floating mat of colour in a garden. Quite a memorable exhibit.
 A fascinating exhibit here from Plants 4 Presents in a display of ingredients such as Turmeric, Cardamom, Chilli, Curry leaves, Kaffir Lime and Basil.  Such an inspiration to source fresh ingredients next time I think about making a curry.  Fresh, home grown turmeric is just amazing!
 Just so heart warming to see so many school children in groups at the show today.  There is hope for the future of horticulture if these little people carry on the tradition.  The schools' scarecrow competition had a theme of the First World War.  I was particularly taken by this brave 'scare pigeon'
 Or how about this one?
Lest We Forget.

1 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

*silent week!* that looks like a good show, why do I live so far away?! Super photos xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>