Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 28, 2014

Summer Treats!

 The very first Delizia cucumber was picked today.  This is a lovely, small and pale skinned cucumber which looks as if it is going to be very prolific.
 Freshly picked and eaten this has a really wonderful and refreshing taste!
 Meanwhile I dug some of my Epicure new potatoes which had been left in the ground for a while. No longer small and waxy, these now make great baking potatoes.  The Epicure is an old Ayrshire potato with a light floury texture!
 Meanwhile in London this morning we had such a rainfall that it made national news.  In my back garden the lawn was under 4 or 5 inches of rainwater and all these little chafer grubs were coming up for air!  This grub of the chafer beetle lives under lawns and nibbles away at the roots. This time of year they are fat and juicy!
 Just the ticket for 3 hungry chickens we are looking after for a couple of weeks. This little plate full were gone in about 10 seconds!
Where's the rest?  More please!

2 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Yummy cukes, Yes.
Gotta say "No" to the grubs. Glad the Chickens enjoy them!
We are harvesting your Green Beans!
Just did a lovely steam with fresh herbs and some turkey bacon. Posting green bean pictures tomorrow :)

Sue and Wyatt

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh why!?? I was enjoying this as I wait for dinner but then the grubs, wait? … what?... Why???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>