Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Regeneration

 I cut down my giant Swiss Chard plants this week.  They were about 10 foot tall and had gone to seed.  Just look what happened when I left a few inches of stem in the ground.  I will have fresh leaves all through  Winter now!
 and after picking one of my Queensland Blue squash, a new one has formed at the end of the vine.
 cutting back one half of my mint has forced them into forming new, fresh mint leaves. I left the other half fot the time being because the bees just love the purple mint flowers.
 Again, I picked my Delicata squash a few days ago, and as soon as I did a couple of lovely new squashes appear.  Different hormones and chemicals are produced in a plant when it doesn't have mature fruit to feed. Just think of picking sweet peas.. keep picking and more will be produced. Stop - and they will all go to seed and stop flowering.
This was the courgette plant that had its growing tip eaten off by a slug in April.  4 or 5 different growing points developed in its place!  I've kept this well fed and watered and I now have a giant Black Forest Climbing Courgette! This is just one plant!

1 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Those are good tips. Shows the survival techniques and adaptation of plants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>