Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, December 06, 2014

Winter Harvest

 Earlier this Summer I planted some Oca tubers in a black plastic dustbin full of compost.  This is the first time I've grown them.  All the advice given told me to leave them to mature as long as possible so that the underground tubers swell as much as possible.
 Well, we've had a lovely long, warm Autumn and they have had the best conditions possible. A sharp frost overnight has really knocked them back now so it is time to see what lies underneath.
 So I decided to start to dig down with a trowel to see what was there.
 One by one the tubers appeared.
 I only took two plants today but I have quite a few more.  These striking tubers resemble Jerusalem artichokes.
 I did plant different coloured tubers, so there were different varieties coming up.
 I tried eating some raw.  Not unpleasant - the texture of a crisp radish but without the heat. A faint flavour of a lemon acid.. I guess it would be oxalic acid.  Probably better chopped up in a salad to give texture.  Will have to try cooking them and see if they improve.

3 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Well, they certainly look dramatic. Not sure whether the small yield is enough to make them an attractive proposition in the veg-garden though.

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Not familiar with Oca, they look pretty....

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger betico de pakistan said...

if you leave them for approx 2 or 3 weeks after the foliage dies from the 'death frost' the tubers grow larger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>