Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

First New Potatoes

 One of the signs that you may have potatoes under the ground is the presence of flowers at the top of the plant.  The first new potatoes dug is just one of the most exciting events in the allotment growing year.
 I couldn't resist having a little poke around the soil to see if anything was there, and here I found the buried treasure!  The best, first new potatoes are just about golf ball size and best eaten as fresh as possible.  So I went back to the kitchen and started to boil a saucepan of water.
 I can't describe just how exciting this is.  Something very primal about digging up buried treasure, or foraging for food.  Growing your own food is amazing!
 This variety is called Epicure.  I remember planting Epicure potatoes with my Father when I was growing up on my allotment years ago.  This is one of the most tasty varieties.  An old Ayrshire potato which is described in the catalogues as 'floury'.. but I disagree.  They should be more popular in my opinion, but they do have quite deep eyes which is not desired commercially.
 Someone has decided that the British public want smooth, safe, blemish free, attractive looking oval shaped potatoes regardless of taste.  This is the tastiest potato ever! (in my humble opinion).  So with the addition of some fresh picked mint leaves...
and a generous coating of butter... I enjoyed my lunch! Bon Appetite!

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh how exiting! I can't wait to get to that stage when I can have a lunch of my own produce :)

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Kev Alviti said...

I have a few flowers on mine and I'm tempted to syart digging! Can't wait for some new potatoes!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I am very keen to see what the "Winston" ones I am growing taste like. They are a variety often chosen for Showing, because of their regular shape, but some people accuse them of being tasteless. We shall see..

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

wow, our potatoes are so slow this year! But these wee beauties look lovely, hope you thoroughly enjoyed them! And there's more to come :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>