Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Bountiful Harvest

 This post is written with some sadness.. 9 years of blogging about my allotment.. more than half a million page hits (I can't believe it!) and a world full of friends. Things are about to change.  The aforementioned allotment is actually at the end of a very large garden, my Mothers garden.
 It very much looks like this harvest may well be the last at this location.  The house is being renovated to be rented out as we speak.  Care home fees must be paid for.  I have never been without a patch of land to grow my own veggies.. and that time is coming.
But fear not my faithful readers!  There is much to blog about! Even if it is a growbag on a balcony, or a tomato in a pot, Matron will strive to keep you entertained.  When the next few weeks or months is done with I will set about finding a REAL allotment!Let's hope the waiting list is not too long.  Growing veggies is a way of life for me, so is blogging.. now!

7 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Hazel said...

I'm sorry to hear if you have to give up your current plot - and the circumstances in which you have to do it.

Is there no way of letting out the house and garden but keep the plot? It is at the end of the 'very large garden' after all, and you need not disturb your tenants - especially if you have side/back access?

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that is A Spirit!!!
On the other hand, I am sorry to hear that you no longer be able to grow your veggies at your mum's garden-allotment.
Balcony growing is very reto :))

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Oh blimey! I didn't connect that your allotment was at your Mum's and renting out the house would mean you'd lose the plot - so to speak, sorry x
Sending hugs from me and the studio assistants at this stressful time.
I'd be happy for you to grow very on my shamefully neglected veg plot - I've had so many work commissions something had to give. No worries, no-one got hurt, it's just an embarrassingly weedy veg plot.
Love C x

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Fingers crossed you'll land in a sweet pile of humus somewhere, Matron. In the meantime, best to your Mum et al.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with finding an allotment. We now have 2 plots, but found it quite difficult to find one. My advice would be: Don't believe your council if they say there are no empty allotments! Go and look at your local ones. Then tell them where they are and which one you want. (Involve the local coucilor / MP if they cut up rough :) Good luck. Thanks for your Blogs. I always enjoy them :)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Oh that is indeed sad news. I hope that you are not without your own special patch of land for long.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Sweetness - you keep blogging and I'll still be reading and no matter what, I'm your friend :)
Sorry to hear that care home fees are a worry now - they are horrendously high, yet how can you put a price on the care of your mother?
Love xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>