Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Final Harvest

 This will be one of the final posts from my current location.  After nearly 35 years on the same patch of land I am having to move elsewhere.  The pumpkins weren't great this year.  These Rouge Vif D'Etamps pumpkins should have been much bigger. Don't know why.
 I grew melons for the first time this year.  These are a small variety grown outdoors called Minnesota Midget.  I'm just waiting a little longer for them to fully ripen.  Just a little press on the end of the melon to see if it is ripening, and a little sniff to see if I can smell the perfume.  Fingers crossed.
 Chillis are ripening nicely in the greenhouse.  These are some of my Joe's Long Cayenne peppers.
 Another variety I grew is these Spaghetti Chilli.  These are fun!
 I grew these Giraffe Sunflowers to try to attract bees and pollinating insects to my patch.  Hopefully in the weeks ahead the birds will get something out of them too!
 Tomatoes are looking good this year, no problems with tomato blight, it has been fairly dry, but I'll keep a lookout.
Regular blog readers will like to see another picture of Leo.  My garden assistant is 15 and a half years old and still plods down to the allotment with me. What a brilliant garden companion!

8 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

I was absolutely thrilled when I saw this picture of Leo I didn't dare ask if he was still around just in case he had passed on. What a fantastic age for a Labrador. Hugs all around....

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I'm wondering now why you "have" to move away. It will surely be quite a wrench to part company with your plot.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Mark - my 'plot' is at the end of a very large back garden. The house and gardens have to be let to pay care home fees.. :-(

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Wow, your tomatoes look amazing., I haven't got a single red one yet. There is a good crop and they are just starting to show a hint of colour. I think it could be a good year for green tomato chutney :-).

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger John Peace said...

Hi Matron, My partner and I have been vegetable sufficient for a number of years now, we started with an allotment and later moved to a smallholding with a beautiful, south facing vegetable garden.

We have also started our own Vegetable Garden Plot website, which we tag with the line, "a down to earth guide to growing vegetables" that your visitors may find helpful.

Here is the website address if you wanted to take a look.
http://www.vegetablegardenplot.com/

As I was looking at your pages I noticed that you provide some links to helpful websites and I was wondering if you would consider linking to our site?

Hope you approve, but will carry on reading your blog anyway, it's great..

John

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Lou@RainbowChard said...

Sorry to hear you're having to leave your plot. I had a little 'pang' the other day at my allotment, thinking one day I'll have to leave it.
At least you have lots of good memories and photos to help remember too.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Lou@RainbowChard said...

Sorry to hear you're having to leave your plot. I had a little 'pang' at my allotment the other day, thinking one day I'll have to leave it.
At least you have lots of good memories and photos too.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Mal said...

Hi Matron. This is too much to hear you are having to sacrifice your plot.

I've lost my Mum and my dog in the last two years and my heart goes out to you.

I appreciate that you have had to make hard decisions but I do hope you can keep on the veg growing tradition somehow.

All the best

Mal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>