Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, January 11, 2016

Morello Cherry Tree

 My new shady garden has its challenges, but there are quite a few fruit and veggies that can tolerate growing conditions which are less than ideal.  The Morello Cherry is one of these.  It can survive against a North facing wall and is also very hardy.  These are sour cherries which ripen to a near black colour, they can be used for pies, jams and cherry brandy.
 This tree has quite a few nice side shoots so I may train it up against a brick wall.  It is on a semi-dwarfing rootstock which means it will probably reach a height of about 10feet tall.  Ideal for a small garden.
 I have a corner space on my patio which is North West facing.  It will get quite a bit of sunshine in the morning up against the brickwork of the house.  A hole here goes down into soil so this should do fairly well, and also restrict too much growth as long as I make sure it is well watered.  Soil underneath brickwork like this can get dry.
So I look forward to a crop of cherries round about August time.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Adam said...

Thanks for the post, I've been looking for a cherry variety that I can use for sweet things, like cakes and jams - do you know of any good resilient varieties that match that criteria?

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Adam - Morello really does look like what you are looking for. It is not a sweet eating cherry but the flavour when cooked is just the best. It is the hardiest of all too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>