Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Sunshine!

 There have been some lovely, warm days here in my West London garden.  Most of my veggies are now grown in large containers against a South facing wall.  This Romanesco has sent up this first little courgette and flower.  One of my first edibles in this new courtyard garden.
 This other Romanesco courgette is sharing a container with a couple of Joe's Long Chilli up against this brick wall. Things are growing at a rate of knots at the moment, these lovely, long days are making such a difference.
 Some lovely warm, rain earlier this week helped my Aquadulce Claudia broad beans to shoot up about a foot in just a couple of days.
 These Royalty dwarf beans are planted at the edge of the veg planter so they hang down on this South facing planter. Beans and courgettes are good companion plants and frequently do well together.  I have also just planted some Blauhilde climbing French beans against the climbing courgette Black Forest.  They can climb up the trellis together.
 I am really pleased with these potatoes planted in a plastic veg bag.  I have given them a handful of chicken manure every so often when I earthed them up, and lots of leafmould and compost as well as lots of water.  These should be ready in a couple of weeks. One bag of Epicure and one bag of Rocket potatoes.
I am really pleased with my new Williams pear tree.  I bought it in flower, in a container a couple of weeks ago at a Summer show.  Then I read that it really needed another pollinator so I took it for a 'play date' with my Sister's Conference pear tree.  This has worked really well and I have a good fruit set!

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

You seem to be coming to terms very readily with the problems of less space. Your beans are producing pods extremely early for plants grown outdoors.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

This year I was able to grow different potato tubers in a galvanized bucket. Harvest turned out a lot more than I expected. Good to grow vegetables in a galvanized bucket. Here it is written about the galvanized bucket http://apromera.com/ It seems to me that this method of growing vegetables is very effective,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>