Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Edible Flowers

Matron doesn't do flowers!  But, with the exception of edible flowers - here I make that exception.
Whilst out walking I found a carpet of sweet violets in the woods, this common flower is found everywhere at this time of year but only for a few weeks.  The flowers have a wonderful violet perfume hence the Latin name Viola Odorata
It was also an old Victorian tradition to preserve the flowers in sugar and make cake decorations, so I decided to have a go.  Just brush the fresh flowers with egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar.
You have to have delicate fingers to make these preserved violets, so gently I put them on greaseproof paper and dried them on my heated propagator for a couple of days.
You can also do this with primrose flowers.  I suppose at this point I should give a warning that if you are not 100% sure what it is then don't pick it or eat it!... so, with the Easter weekend coming up I decided to give it a go.

So I made a lemon drizzle cake and decorated it with preserved flowers!  Happy Easter everyone!

5 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger VP said...

Yum! Have a good Easter Matron :)

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous TechChik said...

I've always wanted to preserve violets like this too!
Have you tried pickling nasturtium buds as a substitute for capers?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Tania López said...

Hello. The flowers look appetizing. I´m going to prove.
Greetings from Galicia

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Caro (UrbanVegPatch) said...

I remember my grandad doing this to violets to decorate cupcakes; I've tried but always end up being too heavy handed. Your cake looks really delicious.

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Carolyn said...

This post has taken me right back to my childhood and palma violets!
I am old enough to use a Wheelchair ramp now though. But it was good to feel young again for a moment there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>